Charity Number 1125601
Charity Status was obtained August 2008
The members of the Stainton Institute Committee are currently fundraising to change this 17th Century chapel into a community centre and need to raise substantial funds as the condition of the building is now in a dilapidated state.
We have just received a another donation of £1000 from the Baldoukie Charitable Trust. Thank you
Dulverton Trust Fund
South Lakeland District Council LIP Fund
We have been sponsored and supported along the way and funded by SLDC, Cumbria County Council (Brenda Gray, SLDC/CCC Councillor should have a special mention for her continuous support for the Institute) the Holehird Trust, Cumbria Community Foundation, Cumbria Action for Sustainability, Westmorland Agricultural Society and Booths, among several other organisations.
The need for a community building was identified by residents in the formulation of the Stainton Parish Plan in 2003. A further survey was undertaken in 2005 with particular reference to the potential for the use of the former chapel for a village hall which reaffirmed that need. These public consultation procedures provides a clear demonstration of local need and strong local support.
The formation of the Friends of Stainton Village Hall comprising of local residents also demonstrates the local desire and determination to deliver this much needed facility.
· The whole community
· The Parish Council
· Friends of Village Hall
· User groups of the Village Hall
Representatives of the above and other interested parties will be included on the management committee of the community building
A LITTLE OF THE HISTORY OF STAINTON CHAPEL
Two licences were issued in 1672 for Presbyterian meetings in the parish of Heversham, one being from John Hinde’s house, probably the same John Hind of Stainton whose house was registered 13th January 1698/9 under the Tolerance Act. An earlier certificate, 8th October 1596, was granted for a house built by Miles Addyson. Although possibly of Presbyterian origin the church (now URC) had an independent minister by the early 18th Century.
The chapel was erected c1698. It has rendered rubble walls and a slated roof. Four regularly spaced windows in the East wall and two now flanking the pulpit at the north end are original but with renewed frames; three larger windows have been inserted on the west side. At the south end is a two-storied addition with a stable below and vestry or schoolroom above. The interior (18.5 feet by 35.75 feet) was refitted about 1870 when, as Nightingale says, “the earthen floor (was) replaced by a boarded one and the pulpit moved from the East side facing the road to its present position.” The roof is supported by three roughly shaped trusses of late 17th century character.
Fittings: Communion Table: oak with turned legs and guilloche ornament around upper rail, modern top, otherwise c 1698. Door to stable, with wrought-iron hinges, early 18th century. Monuments: on the west wall- Thomas Greenhow of High House 1838. Seating: Portion of pew door fixed to front of pulpit, with carved rail and date ‘IDED 1698’ Information from: ‘Nonconformist Chapels and meetinghouses in the north of England.’ Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England 1994
From Sizergh Records 9 October 1697
‘Upon the request of Myles Addison of Stainton having built a house at Stainton to be set aside for religious worship for Protestants ‘defecting’ from the C of E. It is granted so that it is used according to the law.’
The Chapel from other records was a ‘Five Mile Chapel'.
Ministers who were ejected for their churches because they wouldn't conform to the use of the Book of Common Prayer in the 1660s were not allowed to preach within 5 miles of the church where they had been the minister. This chapel is roughly 5 miles from Kendal.
John Taylor, who eventually became the Third World President of the Mormon Church in 1880, and the only English person to hold this position, lived in the Parish in his youth and it is thought that he was baptised in this building.